Digital signage - the future for advertising
Digital Signage is known as a digital installation that displays video or multimedia content for informational or advertising purposes. Communication takes place via any type of screen, from small touchpads to kiosks, up to gigantic video walls. With this type of digital communication, it is possible to reach the user directly by providing, within the points of sale, updated information combined with sales promotions. Digital Signage is the fastest and most direct way to reach the public and send them the desired advertising messages. The management of advertising content can be centralized
Why should you consider investing in Digital Signage? It catches the eye of consumers in products and services.
Digital Signage comes as a form of communication born in recent years, which now is at the heart of advertising. The use of signs together with digital content such as text, images or videos is intended to attract the attention of potential customers so as to encourage them to purchase new products or services. Digital multimedia contents are previously selected and then displayed, but they can also be reproduced, for instance on smaller or larger displays or electronic signs.
The purpose of Digital Signage
Nowadays it is becoming increasingly important to convey new and attractive messages to customers in real time. Unlike static advertising signs or posters, digital signage offers a wide range of options, with considerably greater flexibility in use. Thanks to digital technology, the products are presented to the customer in an attractive way. The versatility of the product allows the supplier to transmit information directly to the point of sale, in order to attract potential customers or business partners in a modern and dynamic way.
Contents of digital signage displays
Through the support of digital signage, not only can advertisements be transmitted to the customer, but it is also possible to take advantage of interactive technology. Indeed, the displays can be equipped with a touchscreen technology that can be used both by an employee, in the case of a demonstration, and directly by a customer. Here are some examples of pen displays with touch sensitive screens:
- Thanks to the touchscreen, a customer is directly able to access to the information he is looking for.
- Costumers can also orient themselves with the auxiliary of an interactive system, for example when searching for certain products in a shop.
- A digital signage display can show specific content when a person is nearby, tis way the customer can call up the desired products or information if needed.
- There is the option of integrating additional advanced technologies such as Bluetooth or RFID to make screens even more interactive.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Digital Signage
The possibilities of digital signage are limitless. However, it is important that new technologies are used in a targeted and appropriate way, in order to maximize sales resources:
- To promote sales, you can specifically advertise individual products.
- Information about products or services can be presented in a much more engaging way.
- Automated information or sales systems offer customer benefits and greater employee relief.
- So-called mood solutions can be used, for example in the form of entire video walls as part of the shop design.
- Context-dependent advertising messages are possible, for example to show customers other products for the already selected product.
- As part of a multimedia campaign, it can be used as a sales support.
However, the disadvantages of misuse of digital signage should not be underestimated. The choice of products to show is crucial: Customers should not be discouraged or bothered by unsuitable content. Equally, displays with poor user guidance or poor image quality should be avoided. Location also plays an important role: if displays are installed in unsuitable locations, such as above sales shelves, they can have a negative impact on the customer. Nonetheless, every new technology carries a chance for error; for example, in badly processed displays pixel errors can be encountered, as well as the so-called “outdoor” screens, for outside use, can be damaged, especially if not installed correctly.
Types of systems and areas of application
There is currently a fairly large number of digital signage systems. In particular, there are various types of displays suitable for specific application areas:
- Digital signage screens that are used in the foyer or at trade shows, which allow you to view changing text or images.
- Screens containing important information, in doctors' offices or authorities.
- the presentation of offers or information on products in shopping malls or hardware stores, often in the form of images combined with text or videos.
- Infotainment display for eye-catching presentation of information relating to museums or other events.
- Advertising billboards, on external displays, with variable content in the external area.
- the use of large displays, in the form of transparent showcases.
- multimedia kiosk systems with interactive displays.
Control and connection to the network
Among the available displays, there are versions that work autonomously or controlled via a network. The models with automatic operation are controlled by an integrated media player that plays the desired content. Displays with access via LAN or WLAN can be used much more flexibly in order to be able to change the content to be broadcast at any time. Control via the cellular network is also conceivable.
Yes. There exist versions suitable for all weather conditions, also in direct sunlight.
In addition to communication functions, many displays offer additional functions, including local content playback, a screen refresh, optimized data transfer and easy content management
The size of displays is usually indicated in inches. Displays can now be made in sizes up to nearly 100 inches. Upon request, it is possible to form a “Video wall”, combining several screens.
Power consumption is expressed in watts. As in the case of televisions, the energy class is indicated in order to give the customer the opportunity to choose the alternative with the greatest possible energy savings
The use of 24/7 digital signage displays are now widespread, which is why there are versions suitable for 24/7 operation.
Today, more than ever, digital signage has become an important part of advertising and information technology. Increasing the user base of your business and surviving on the market in the long-term means learning to communicate products and services in an immediate and captivating way, through a targeted use of professional monitors and modern techniques of the sector.